This post contains some affiliate links.
A Trash to Treasure Chest is what I thought of when I spied this little wooden treasure chest at the Habitat Restore. It was missing its latch, the one hinge was falling off and it had a bad paint job.
Just what I love to work on as I know I can make it pretty. I could tell the finish wasn’t the original one.
As I started sanding the Treasure Chest, the original finished appeared. It had been painted with flowers and was probably very pretty at one time.
Time to bring it up to par, so the after sanding it down, not entirely but enough so the painted surface would be smooth.
I wiped it with the tack cloth and started painting. I used my Sherwin- Williams Creamy paint made into my DIY chalk paint. It took about 3 coats of paint.
So to turn this Trash to Treasure Chest into its potential I decided to put a French graphic on the top. This is an easy thing to do.
Go to The Graphics Fairy to select a graphic, download it to your computer. The web site provides the directions on how to download it and transfer it to your project. It is very easy.
I used the wax paper method. If you need more detailed instructions that can also be found on the Graphics Fairy website. I cut a piece of wax paper the size of the printer paper. I used a little tape to hold the wax paper to the paper and inserted it in my printer. On my computer I reversed the image and saved it to a word document. Print the image and it’s ready to transfer. I just followed the instructions found on that site. I sealed the top with Polycrylic to protect the graphic and used Minwax on the rest of the Treasure Chest.
Then to give this trashy treasure chest some pizazz, I measured the bottom and top and made a pattern from copier paper. I used the pattern to cut burlap that has a French typography design which coordinates with the graphic. At first I was going to sew ribbon around the edge of the burlap to prevent it from raveling but in the end I decoupage it to the inside of the top and the bottom of the inside of the treasure chest. To cover the raw edge I cut ribbon to size and decoupage it all around the burlap.
Once the bottom and sides were covered with the burlap and trimmed out with the ribbon, I completed the top. Then it was time to put it back together with new hinges and clasp.
A Trash to Treasure Chest was looking good again.
Affiliate links may be contained in this post. That means if you click on one of those links, I will receive a small commission. You won’t be paying a cent more but it just means I will make a little money for your purchase. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.