Affiliate links may be contained in this post.
Out with old look in with new with a slipcover. Back in the day when writing a blog was a fleeting dream I bought this upholstered bench. I am determined to teach myself how to reupholster furniture. For this bench I got as far as taking off the material on the bottom and removing the buttons on the top.
I scrubbed it but it still looked dirty. I threw a bath towel on it and put it at the foot of the bed. The cats love it so I knew it was mine. Whenever Andy comes in the room he uses it as a scratching post. Not quite what I would like. Lincoln enjoys sleeping on it but he has other bad habits. Just not using this as a scratching post.
So it sat until it got to the point where I didn’t even notice it. Although I found I used it to put on shoes and even as a table.In the meantime I bought 4 small legs for another project, nothing to do with furniture. And then it happened. I saw the legs in my stash of this and that. I decided I was sick of living with a towel over an upholstered bench that is plain ugly. The legs would be perfect for the bench after I gave them a remodel with DIY chalk paint using my favorite combination of Lazy Gray, then Temperate Taupe and the top color a cream color. It is the same combination I used on the shelf that looks like a mantel.
I made a slipcover. I made the slipcover from a drop cloth. I bought several at Home Depot and have made valances and pillows. The color works and it’s cheap. I washed, dried and iron it and then was ready to go. I made a pattern measuring out the top and sides. Adding 5/8 inches for the seams, it is a simple pattern. It looks like a big rectangle with a square cut out at each corner.
Once I cut out the shape, I sewed all 4 corners, clipped the point and ironed open.I made cording and then sewed it to the bottom of the body of the slipcover.
I decided to make a ruffle to finish off the bottom. I measured seven inches all around the drop cloth using the hem that was there. I tore it for a straight line, but it did ravel. I sewed the long one to the short one, the long one and ended with the short one. Using the longest stich on the sewing machine, I sewed along the unfinshed edge in order to gather it.I had more material than I needed but I am going to make a smaller version for a foot stool. So I pinned the ruffle to the slipcover. As I sewed, I adjusted the gathers.After the final coat of paint, I waxed and buffed the legs and attached them to the bench using the dowel screws. I am so happy with the outcome although Andy doesn’t feel the same way. And even though the slipcover hides the distressing on the new legs this is a project I will do again with variations so it may show in the future.Someday I will reupholster it but now that I have the pattern I can make a slipcover anytime. So out with the old look in with the new with a slipcover. And it adds to my winter refresh in the bedroom.
That means if you click on one of those links, I will receive a small commission. You won’t be paying a cent more but it just means I will make a little money for your purchase. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.